Facebook friends shared their favorite easy-to-make dishes and this recipe is inspired by Chris.
( Thanks so much! 🙂 )
What you need:
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 2 lbs sweet Italian chicken sausage, out of the casing
* 2 bulbs fennel, cored and sliced
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
* 1 cup lentils, rinsed, drained
* 15 oz cannellini beans, rinsed well and drained
* 15 oz canned, diced tomatoes with juices
* 1 cup white wine (or chicken stock)
* 3 cups chicken stock
* 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
* 1 sprig rosemary, chopped fine
* 3-4 sage leaves, chopped fine
* 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
* Salt & Pepper, to taste
What you do:
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add in the onions, carrots, fennel, and some salt and pepper, and saute until soft on medium – about five minutes. Add in the chicken sausage, and continue to saute until the sausage is broken apart (use your spatula to do this) and no longer pink on the outside. Add in the lentils, beans, fresh herbs, and tomatoes, and stir to combine – saute for another few minutes.
Add in the wine (if using) and enough chicken broth to just barely cover the veggies and sausage. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on medium for a solid 30 minutes. Take the cover off, adjust for seasonings, and simmer on medium low for another 20 or so minutes, until the liquid has reduced a bit, and the stew begins to thicken up.
Serve with crusty bread.